Welcome to Conquer: the journey informed. My name is Sharon, I am the newly appointed Editor-in-Chief of Conquer, and this is my opening note!
It is a great honor to introduce myself as the next editor of Conquer. This role is a significant assignment as I come behind Lillie Shockney, RN, BS, MAS, HON-ONN-CG, who has faithfully guided this publication since 2009 with her voice as a cancer survivor. My voice comes as a healthcare provider with over 40 years in oncology care, with 23 of those as a nurse navigator. I will also speak as a family member who has experienced the trepidation of walking loved ones through the suspicion of a diagnosis, hearing the words “you have cancer,” traveling with them along the path to witness the joy of survivorship, as well as supporting them as they took the path that transitioned to end of life. I am committed to continuing the impressive trajectory Conquer has established over the years. You will see the new column from me—A Note from Your Navigator—a perspective from someone in the healthcare continuum who advocates for those unfamiliar with the care terrain, whether it is in the community or a healthcare setting. Navigators can get you to where you need to go and describe the route or journey you will be traveling as a patient or caregiver.
As part of our community, you will find in these pages and on our website useful, educational, and inspiring stories to keep you informed along the journey. Here are a few of the regular departments and topics we’ll explore together:
- A Note from Your Navigator: In each issue, I will share my perspectives from inside the healthcare continuum
- Supportive Care: We will examine ways therapies can ease the side effects of treatment
- Treatments: We will offer explanations of different types of treatments, including those newly approved by the US Food and Drug Administration
- Nutrition: Healthy eating, avoiding certain foods that may interfere with treatments, and debunking food myths related to cancer are just some of the topics we will offer in this department
- Advocacy Leaders: You will hear from advocacy groups and learn how they are empowering people living with cancer
- Inspiring Stories and Art: We will continue to feature stories and artwork submitted by people who have been touched by cancer.
Thank you for being part of our Conquer community. I hope this resource helps to inform your unique journey.
Sharon S. Gentry, MSN, RN, HON-ONN-CG, AOCN, CBCN, is an oncology healthcare provider with over 40 years of oncology care experience, the Program Director of the Academy of Oncology Nurse & Patient Navigators (AONN+), and a champion of people living with cancer.