With only 5 ingredients, Kale, Sausage, and Cannellini Bean Soup is a simple, healthy meal you can rely on in a pinch. This hearty soup is full of nutrients and fiber that will keep you full and give your body a nutritional boost!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
Serving size: About 1 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces hot Italian chicken or turkey sausage (about 2 links), casings removed
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 box (32 ounce) no salt added chicken stock (such as Kitchen Basics)
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups chopped kale (buy a bag of prewashed chopped kale for convenience)
- 1 can reduced sodium cannellini beans or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional: the rind from a Parmesan cheese wedge
- Optional: replace the 1 cup water with 1 cup white wine
- Heat a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and the Italian sausage. Cook the sausage until browned, being sure to break up chunks with a wooden spoon.
- Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and stir for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth and water (or wine, if using) and increase heat to high.
- Once the liquid starts to boil, add in the chopped kale and the Parmesan rind, if using. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the kale is tender.
- Stir in the cannellini beans and taste to adjust seasonings with salt and pepper as needed. Remove Parmesan rind and serve hot with crusty bread.
Recipe originally published by Sweet Cayenne at http://sweetcayenne.com/kale-sausage-and-cannellini-bean-soup-5-ingredients-ready-under-30/.